Russian War Against Ukraine: Energy Dimension | DiXi Group Alert – weekly review
August 28 – September 3, 2023
- The IAEA permanent mission to the Zaporizhzhia NPP rotated, but the Russian military planted mines in the territory used for the rotation. Ukrainian sappers defused 5 anti-personnel mines.
- The status of nuclear and radiation safety at the ZNPP continues to degrade every day – so the Acting Chairman of the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate Oleh Korikov. He stressed that the recent IAEA statements have been reassuring, yet only recording facts and not assessing them in terms of compliance with the IAEA safety standards.
- New summer consumption records have been reported in the power system. Ukrenergo was forced to ask for emergency assistance from the TSOs of Poland and Romania on August 28 (1.2 GWh), August 29 (2.65 GWh), August 30 (2.4 GWh), of Romania and Slovakia on August 31 (0.6 GWh).
- Compared to this, the volume of commercial imports amounted to 12.4 GWh. During the daytime hours of the weekend (September 3), electricity was exported to Slovakia (122 MWh) and Moldova (350 MWh).
- The use of emergency assistance became subject of the Regulator’s meeting with market players. According to the NEURC Chair Kostyantyn Ushchapovskyi, Ukrenergo should prepare amendments to the Temporary Procedure for the Purchase of Auxiliary Services in order to set conditions for engaging capacities of TPPs and CHPs.
- As of the beginning of autumn, the repairs of 6 NPP units (5.4 GW) were completed, 24 TPP/CHP units (over 4.3 GW) have already been repaired and are undergoing repair – so the Minister of Energy Herman Halushchenko.
- According to Energoatom, in 7m2023, nuclear power plants produced 47.6% of electricity in the total mix, TPPs and CHPs – 27.8%, hydropower plants – 14.1%, other power plants – 10.5%.
- The NEURC approved the draft License Conditions for Aggregation in the Electricity Market and restored the effect of certain provisions of the Distribution Systems Code (in particular, regarding connections).
- The debt of Guaranteed Buyer to RES producers exceeds 32.2 billion UAH. Some producers can already benefit from the opportunity to independently sell electricity on the market, – e.g., wind farm operators with the lowest feed-in tariffs.
- The President Volodymyr Zelenskyi signed the law, which provides for the corporate reform of the gas TSO.
- The reserve capacity of underground storages and the flexibility of gas transmission system allow for the withdrawal and transportation of the necessary volumes to the borders with the EU, even in the conditions of attacks on infrastructure – Naftogaz, with reference to stress tests results.
- Meanwhile, in 7m2023, Ukrnafta increased production of oil with gas condensate to 828,000 tons, and natural gas – 628 mcm.
- Ukraine has proposed its partners to consider the prepared draft Energy Security Concept.
- The government allocated over 43 billion UAH to restore energy and facilities destroyed, and support affected communities. The priorities in 2024 include projects to restore the economic capacity of communities, help create jobs and promote business development in the liberated and most affected regions.
- 32 healthcare facilities have been equipped with solar panels with inverters and batteries under the joint project of the Ministry of Health and the World Bank.
- The implementation of agreements between Ukraine and Japan to supply gas turbines is in its final stages – the Minister of Energy Herman Halushchenko.